Topic: Ao Nang car Rental

Hi,

We'll be visiting in October, staying in Ao Nang and then flying on to Bangkok with the Air Asia evening flight.

On our last day, I was considering hiring a car for the day in Ao Nang, visiting some of the attractions in the area independently (Emerald pool, hot pools, Tiger Cave Temple) and then dropping the car off at the airport before catching our flight.

I have a few questions, and would really appreciate your advice.

Could we arrange this sort of rental on the spot from one of the Ao Nang tour desks, or does the fact that the pick up and drop off point for the car are different complicate things? Would we be better off aranging the rental in advance, and if so through whom (haven't been able to find much info on-line)?

Would we easily be able to find a larger car or jeep that could accomodate the five of us, plus lluggage?

Another question concerns the quality of the roads in the area and the ease of driving. This is our first visit to Thailand so I have no idea what to expect. How easy would we find driving and navigating? Are the sites well sign-posted in English?

Hope you can help- and thanks in advance.

Re: Ao Nang car Rental

Apologies for the slow reply.

Rental from Ao Nang with a drop off at the airport should not be a problem if you rent with a company that has an airport office, i.e. Budget, National or Avis. I am sure even some of the local companies would be happy to arrange this as it is not too far away.

You can book cars online, through the Thai websites of the companies mentioned above (name + .co.th), though if you will be in Ao Nang for a few days prior to leaving, it makes more sense to arrange things when you are here so you can compare prices with some of the local operators, who do not have websites.

It is very easy to find larger vehicles - people carriers or even 4-door pick-up trucks are available. A 4WD is not necessary as all main roads in Krabi are tarmac. Getting around is very easy - roads are numbered and all signage is in English and Thai. To makes things even easier, most major tourist attractions are signposted with a blue background, to make them easy to spot. You can also pick up one of the many free maps when you are here.

All the places you wish to visit, as well as the airport, are basically along the same highway (Route 4, going south from Krabi Town) and once you are on this, it is just a case of making the turn whenever you see the signs.

Re: Ao Nang car Rental

A very belated thank you (just now retrieved my passworrd for your site) for that helpful and detailed reply.